Saturday, January 2, 2010

Fear - Be Gone!

OK - New Year's Resolutions. To make them or not to make them?

Some people don't like them, but I do. I don't know why...just maybe the chance to start over and get second shot at what I didn't get right last year.

I can't say I have had a lot of time to give this much thought...but I would like to start this new decade with some kind of goal in mind. So, in giving it just a little thought, one goal I think I do want to consciously work on is my negative thinking.

I tend to be a worrier, and I am really starting to feel the effects of these worries (or if I am honest - these fears) in my life. I've kind of struggled with "stinkin' thinkin'" over the years. Not that you would think I am a pessimist if you met me; I am typically an upbeat person. But inside, I feel like there is this vat of negative thoughts and expectations that just swirl around in there. Sometimes I am aware of it and can get it under control - and sometimes....not.

Maybe because I am such a do-er perfectionist, I feel a bit out of control when I make a situation better force things to turn out how I want. And the results of what I can't control scare me. And it just leads to a messy thought life...which leads to negative emotions...which takes its toll in my physical body. Who wants to live like that?

Take a look at the picture above. I debated using it in my blog because it is so ugly and disturbing. But then I thought...No, that is a great visual for fear. Fear is ugly and disturbing, and that is what it looks like inside of me. And I refuse to have that controlling me. Honestly, I feel tired of being afraid.

I tend to live in the world of 'what if' - which is a scary, dark world. And I need to know, down in my gut, it should be 'so what, if?'

I have God. I will be OK. Everything will be fine.

So, as far as resolutions go, I think this is the one that will effect every other area of my life.

Of course, there are the others...drop a few pounds, be less selfish. I want to grow closer to Jesus and be more faithful to Him. I want to be a good wife to J. I want to be a better teacher, and I want to stop procrastinating and waste less time. I would like to be a better writer and blogger.

But this sums up my goal for this year:


Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life. Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious - the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse.

(The Message - Phil. 4:6-8)

What about you? Do you make resolutions? Keep them? Have any for 2010?

149 comments:

  1. Thanks for swinging by Typing One Handed!
    I think you have a great resolution- one that most could benefit from. And thanks for sharing the verse. The Message states things so clearly!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your sweet comment and stopping by my blog! I love your post and can relate to it in many ways. I think I will follow so keep the postive posts coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy SITS Sharefest.

    You wanna hear something weird? I am sitting here writing my resolutions post and it is exactly that same passage from the Bible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog!!! Yes, it is always nice to find other Christ followers out there! ;) Who aren't ashamed to say it!

    Beautiful blog you have here... and remember that perfect love casts out fear!

    :)

    I'll be following your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a big worrier and a what if girl myself! I sometimes wish I was calmer...but oh well..you gotta play the hand your dealt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for your comment! And your freedom from fear picture really sums up a goal I need to have as well! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Перечень мероприятий, сориентированных на предсказание судьбы, именуют ворожба. Гадание на беременность на рунах беременна ли я - это простой порядок узнать судьбу с употреблением различных объектов и рецептур. Загадочны силы и различные варианты ворожения наукой не описаны, но все же многочисленные люди в них верят. Основание Таро покрыто пологом тайны, ибо достоверно никто не знает, каким образом они пришли. Древнейшие карты сопровождали людей в течение зафиксированной истории. Люди предполагают, что карты Таро впервые появились ещё в колыбели зарождения человечества - Египте.

    ReplyDelete