Sunday, February 7, 2010

Silver Lining: Found

As I mentioned in my last post, I was a little down about all the wedding drama going on. In the grand scheme of things, life would go on, but in the moment? I indulged in a little self-pity and let myself sulk a little, knowing things would look better in the morning.

Well, if you are familiar with Long Island weather, we got no snow yesterday. No-thing. This is what I woke up to:

But anyway, I got up and tried not to let it get me down for the day. So, the silver lining. Not just to help me feel better about the shower but just as important as a life skill, I knew I needed to start looking on the bright side. It really was ridiculous to stay upset over it.

So, here is the silver lining:

First of all, James was great. He was totally sympathetic that the shower was an important day for me. We went out for lunch together to an Indian buffet and just spent the rest of the day in our house, on the couch, watching TV and movies. The cancellation provided James with the opportunity to show his extra-sweet side. And that meant alot to me. It also gave me and James some quality time, which I love more than anything.

Next, it showed me the heart of my family. They really wanted my shower to be special, and they didn't want it to be spoiled by a storm and have nobody show up. Their hearts were in the right place, and I am really lucky to have them.

Then, the drama between me and my friend got cleared up (via Facebook), but cleared up all the same. Apparently, it was a misunderstanding, and by the end of the day, things were fine with us and he'll be at the wedding.

My bridesmaid issue is still up in the air, but I feel like we will be able to resolve it.

Finally, I received so much encouragement from blog-friends, which really was amazing too. The sympathy and understanding from 'strangers' was really touching, quite honestly. I shouldn't be, but sometimes I am amazed at the kindness of people, especially strangers. And even from friends, too. They were more sympathetic than I would have been, if the situations were reversed. That was a bittersweet revelation for me - it really showed me how tough I can be on people, in my own mind. If what they are going through is important to them, it should be important to me.

So, there was a silver lining, as I knew there would be.

So what do I take from all of this?

Well,
#1. If at all possible, try not to plan major life events in the winter.
#2. Don't stress over things you can't control.
#3. Just because things don't turn out how you want them to doesn't mean that things still can't be good. It's just a different good.
#4. There is always something good you can take from every situation - i.e. a silver lining.

silver lining n.
A hopeful or comforting prospect in the midst of difficulty

A silver lining, indeed.

6 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad you had a wonderful day and you found your silver lining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job thinking optimisticly! I know it took some time - but it's worth the wait. You will have a great shower - when there is no chance of snow - but I understand your being upset, I would have been too!! But all things work out for the best, this now gives that one friend that waits LAST MINUTE to buy you a nice gift a little bit more time to get a thoughtful one! :) Just saying...have a great day! Keep your chin up!
    <3 Meg

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great!!! :) Really happy for you! ;)

    God bless u!

    Paloma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping through from SITS. You have a lovely blog. Best wishes for your shower and wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I am so sorry, sweetie. That is so tough. I was so sad when my grandparents died. I will be praying for your family!!!
    All the best...may God's peace be with you! :)"


    Thanks so much, I really appreciate it.
    I hope your wedding plans are going well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you were able to see the silver lining! Your husband sounds sweet! I'm so glad he kept your mind off things!

    ReplyDelete